Frequently Asked Questions

Does my husband has to wait the whole 10 years before he can come back to the United States?  He already has been out of the United States for six years in Mexico.  We need him home.  Is there any way I can get him back to the USA?  He left in February of 2004.

In answering your question, I am assuming that your husband was deported for being in the U.S. illegally or engaging in a serious criminal activity. There is no way to get the 10 year ban lifted. He must await the expiration of the 10 years and then re-apply.

I have been here for almost a year an a half an I would like to apply for asylum! If not granted asylum would I be deported?  I can be persecuted in my country because of m religious and political beliefs!

You must apply for asylum within one year of the date of your last arrival in the United States, unless you can show:

  • Changed circumstances that materially affect your eligibility for asylum or extraordinary circumstances relating to the delay in filing
  • You filed within a reasonable amount of time given those circumstances.

Since you are currently in the U.S., and you can make the case for changed circumstances that explains your failure to file within a year of your arrival,  you may apply for asylum.  Because you are not in deportation (removal) proceedings, you will file your application for asylum by mail at a USCIS regional service center. The form that you must file is Form I-589. It will be reviewed to see if there is any legal reason why your application should be denied—you may have a serious criminal conviction or there is evidence that you have persecuted others. If there is such evidence, you will quickly find yourself in deportation (removal) proceedings. If you pass this initial review, a biometrics appointment will be scheduled so that your fingerprints can be taken. Your fingerprints will be used to search for criminal and immigration records.

Assuming you pass this second review, an interview will be scheduled so that you can describe the persecution that you experienced, or the reasons that you think that you will be persecuted if you return to your home country. You have not told us how you happen to be in the U.S. If you are here lawfully on a valid visa, you may be allowed to stay until you visa expires. If your application for asylum is denied, the more common result is to receive a Notice to Appear, which is the first step in the deportation process. Requesting asylum can be a complicated issue, particularly depending on the country from which you are coming. I would recommend that you seek the services of a competent lawyer before seeking asylum. If you have more questions, you can email me at

Can your application for Naturalization to become a U.S. citizen be denied if you owe back taxes?

Yes, you can be denied citizenship for not paying back taxes.  You can obtain citizenship if you file the back tax return and enter into a payment arrangement with the IRS.  According to the Document Checklist (Form M-477, page 2) for the Naturalization Application:

If you have any federal, state or local taxes that are overdue, send:

  • A signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and
  • Documentation from the IRS or state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.

NOTE: You may obtain copies of tax documents and tax information by contacting your local IRS offices, using the Blue Pages of your telephone directory, or through its website at

As an Athletic Trainer Certified (ATC) can I get a visa from the actual L2 that I have right now? What will be the steps?

What type of visa do you want?  There are basically two types of visas for which you can apply. There are nonimmigrant visas, which come with a right to work or study, and immigrant visas, which allows you to establish permanent residence in the U.S. and obtain a green card.

For nonimmigrant visas, you must have a U.S. employer. Given your occupation and citizenship, there are two visas for which you may be eligible:  H-1B and TN.  To qualify for these visas, in addition to having a job offer from a U.S. employer, you must have a bachelor’s degree or substantial on-the-job experience that is equivalent to the degree.  For specialized occupations like yours, USCIS looks for at least three years of specialized training.

Since you are a Canadian resident, you could also seek a TN non-immigrnat visa.  Since you are already in the U.S., you coud seek to adjust your status.  Your employer must apply to the USCIS on Form I-129.  You must provide the following:  evidence of Canadian citizenship (passport, birth certificate, or citizen identification card); a job offer letter that describes the job that you will have, including daily job duties; and evidence of your qualifications to do the work (degrees, licenses, certificates, etc.).

Since you already have an L-2 visa, you could also seek to adjust your status to that a permanent resident.  You must fall into one of the eligible categories: spouse or sibling of a U.S. citizen; spouse of a permanent legal resident; winner of the diversity lottery, etc.  For a complete list, go to

I hope this helps.  God bless you.

My wife got an L-1B visa recently.  I did not apply for L-2 at that time, as I wanted to stay back.  Our plans have now changed and I wish to travel with her as a dependent.  She would most probably travel to US in Sept ’10.  Can I apply for a L-2 visa before she leaves for the US?  (The question is arising because I read somewhere that a copy the L-1 holder’s i-94 is one of the docs that needs to be submitted while applying for L-2)

You may apply for an L-2 before she leaves but you are not likely to get your L-2 visa approved before she leaves.  By law, you are supposed to receive your L-2 Employment Authorization within 90 days.  Depending on the country in which you file, the wait can be much longer.

To apply for an L-2 visa, I do not see a requirement that you submit a copy of your spouse’s I-94.  You will need to supply, along with the applicable filing fees, the following documents at the US Embassy that serves your country:

  1. Completed visa application: Form DS-156
  2. Original and valid passport
  3. 2 recent color photographs that are 2” x 2” and full-face view
  4. A copy of your marriage certificate
  5. Several (at least 4) pictures at your wedding that clearly identify you and your spouse
  6. A copy of your spouse’s L-1 approval
  7. A copy of your spouse’s employment verification letter

I hope this helps.

Both my father (73 ys old) and I are US citizens. My sister is in Ukraine. Would it be better for me or my dad to petition her?

I see that going through my dad is first preference and I am fourth. Is it true that through my dad she could come while her case is pending? Our concern is our father’s health. What would happen if he petitions for her and, she comes here, but before she gets her green card, he passes away?

How old is your sister?  If she is under 21 then your father can petition for her as an immediate relative.  Otherwise, you are quite right, petitioning through your father is first preference and you are fourth preference.  Is your sister married?  If she is married, she no longer qualifies as an “Unmarried Son or Daughter of a U.S. Citizen” and becomes a “Married Son or Daughter of a U.S. Citizen.” This change in categories may result in a significant delay in her immigrant visa becoming available.

The best strategy in your sister’s case is for BOTH of you to file I-130s sponsoring her.  There is nothing that prevents joint sponsors from filing visa petitions for her and it ensures that, in the event of someone’s death, she does not lose her place in a line.

There is a huge disparity in the waiting times for first and fourth preferences.  The waiting time for first preference is about 5 years and fourth preference is about ten years.  If you sister marries, she converts to third preference and the wait is eight years.  You can check on the average waiting times here:

Also, the Family Sponsor Immigration Act does have provisions which permit a substitute sponsor to take the place of the decedent as sponsor.  The Act, however, requires a showing of hardship and it is not something that I would want to rely on in being able to substitute you for your father.

Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card

My current green card shows my maiden name but I want to change that to my married name. In part 1 under Family Name do I put my maiden name or my married name?

You put your new married name under  the family name.  Lines 2 and 3 will explain your new marriage.  On line 2, select yes.  On line 3, enter your old name, just the way it appeared on your last green card.  You must submit a copy of your marriage certificate.  For more information, see .

I’ve had my green card for over 20 years and its about to expire in September 2010.  Should I renew it, or can I file to become a US citizen and wait and not renew it?  And, can I hire lawyer to speed the process, since my green card is about to expire?

The naturalization application, Form N-400, takes about 5 months to process, whether you use a lawyer or not.  Using a competent lawyer will usually ensure that there are not any procedural delays because of an incomplete or incorrectly completed application.  If you can afford an immigration attorney, I would use one.

Interestingly, it may even longer to renew your green card.  You will not lose your permanent resident status if you do not renew your green card. You will need to renew your expiring green card, however,  to maintain evidence of your permanent resident status and avoid possible difficulties in obtaining employment, benefits and re-entry into the United States after traveling abroad.

The good news is that, when you apply to renew your green card in person, if you bring your current passport (or  an additional passport photograph if you  don’t have a passport) a temporary document (a stamped Form I-94 with photograph) can be created and issued to you immediately. This document serves a proof of your status for one year.

In sum, you will have to renew your green card either way.  Start now!

God bless you.

My nephews are derivative beneficiaries of an I-130 I filed for my brother. Visas have become available for them. They all have been here since Dec 6, 2000. My brother is now married to a US citizen. My nephews are now 19 and 20, can they adjust their status from the previous I-130 or do they have to wait for my brother to be able to petition them?

If the visa becomes available while the nephews are unmarried and under 21, they qualify for the visas. What happened to your brother?  Did he obtain his permanent residency through his US spouse or through you?  His US spouse can only apply for permanent residency for his sons ( your nephews) as immediate relatives if your brother married before your nephews’ 18th birthday.

Would anxiety and having phobias be considered mental illness?

It depends on the severity.  The grounds for inadmissibility involves persons with physical or mental disorders that threaten their own safety or the property, welfare, or safety of others.  If your anxieties and phobias are not dangerous and will not harm yourself or others, I wouldn’t worry about it.  Also, there are waivers available based on the nature of the disorder.  If there is more behind your question, please elaborate your specific concerns.

I have been living in the United States since I was 8 yrs old. I’m now 30 and  married to a United States citizen.  How can I become a United States citizen?

Becoming a US citizen is a two step process.  First, you must get a green card.  Since your spouse is a US citizen, you are an immediate relative and the process  is relatively easy.  Your spouse files an I-130.  You can find a copy of the form and detailed instructions at  If you have been married for less than two years at the time your sdpouse files the I-130 visa petition, the green card will be issued conditionally.  These conditional green cards only last 2 years.  After  two years, you must apply to have the condition removed.

Second, once you have your green cardfor 3 years, you can then apply to become a US citizen.  The process is called “naturalization.”  To be eligible for naturalization you must:

  • Be 18 or older
  • Be a permanent resident (green card holder) for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
  • Have lived with your U.S. citizen spouse, who has been a U.S. citizen during all of such period, during the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application and up until examination on the application
  • Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of  filing the application
  • Have continuous residence in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
  • Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization until the time of naturalization
  • Be physically present in the United States for at least 18 months out of the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
  • Be able to read, write, and speak English and, through a test, demonstrate knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (civics)
  • Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during  all relevant periods under the law

That’s basically the process.  There are also different requirements if your spouse works for the US government abroad.

What do I, a U.S citizen have to provide for my relative (in India) to obtain a tourist visa? It looks like Consulate doesn’t want anything? Their website specifically states that they will not look at affidavits, financial information, letters of support etc, so why do people provide those, if the Consulate does not look at them?

Your relative should seek a B-2 visa, which is used for tourists and those seeking medical treatment in the US.  Your relative must convince the consulate that once he arrives in the US that he will not seek employment or go on public welfare.  That is where you can help.  You can sign an I-134, Affidavit of Support, which tells the US Government that you can support your relative while he is in the US.  Also, you can send a letter to your relative, confirming that he can stay with you for as long as he is in the US.  These two items, the invitation letter and the Form I-134, should be included your relative’s visa application.

I am very surprised that the consulate does not want affidavits of support.  Can you give me a link to the website on which you read that?

My I-130 petition was approved and I am waiting for my visa #. My current student status is about to expire. Do I have to leave US?  My I-130 is as unmarried child of a permanent resident filed in 2005.

Having an approved I-130 does not give you a right to live in the Unites States.  After having your I-130 approved, you must apply to adjust your status, i.e. get a green card. Since you are already in the U.S., you can adjust your status only if you are in the U.S. legally—on an unexpired visa.

If you are an immediate relative–that is, you are unmarried, under 21 and a child of at least one American citizen—you do not have to worry whether your visa has expired.  As long as you entered the U.S. legally, you can apply to have your status adjusted.  If you are not an immediate relative, you must file for your adjustment of status before your visa expires.

You stated in your question that your Form I-130 has been approved and that you are “waiting for a visa #”.  Does that mean that you have already filed to adjust your status?  If that is so, that’s great! That means that you sought to change your status while on a current visa.   Otherwise, you need to apply to adjust your status.  If your Priority Date ( the date on which you can apply for a green card) has not yet come up and your F-1 visa is about to expire, you should consult an immigration lawyer immediately- telling him or her your specific facts.  When your F-1 visa expires; copy of your I-797 Approval Notice; etc.

I heard that the new immigration law says that you do not have to be interviewed to renew your F1 visa. How does it work? And, how can I renew my F1 visa?

I am not aware of a change in the immigration law that would allow you to skip the F-1 visa renewal interview.  You may be confusing two different renewals.  There is something called automatic visa revalidation.  Automatic visa revalidation allows most F-1 students to take a trip of less than thirty days to countries contiguous to the United States and reenter on an expired visa provided you have proper documentation and have not applied for a new visa during the visit. This process revalidates your visa (making it eligible for the single trip back to the United States), but does not renew it.

If your F-1 visa has expired or is about to expire, there is no need to worry.  You can stay in the U.S. with an expired F-1 visa as long as you are student in good standing and have not violated the terms of your status.

There are some good reasons to renew an expired F-1 visa.  For example, you may want or need to travel outside the United States.  You cannot re-enter the United States on an expired visa (except in the limited automatic visa revalidation manner discussed above.)  Also, if you entered the United States under a different visa status and changed your visa status to F-1 while in the United States – you will also need to apply for an F-1 visa if you leave the U.S.

You cannot renew an F-1 visa while in the United States.  You must do so at a United States embassy or consulate.  Although the Department of State encourages you to apply in your home country, you may apply at another U.S. embassy or consulate.  Before you travel to an embassy or consulate that is not in your home country, contact that embassy or consulate and confirm the procedures for renewing your F-1 visa. Inform them of your country of citizenship, and ask them whether they will accept and consider your application and approximately how long it will take for the visa to be issued, if approved.

It may be more difficult to obtain a visa from a U.S. Consulate which is not located in your country of citizenship or lawful permanent residence.  You cannot re-enter the U.S. until your visa renewal is approved.  If the visa is denied, you will not be able to return to the United States as a student.

Click here to find out how long it will take to get a visa application appointment at a U.S. Consulate.

If you are going to leave the country to renew your F-1 visa, there are some steps you need to take before you leave.

  • SEVIS I-20 – Check the front of your I-20 to make sure your major, and source of funding are correct. If you need a new I-20 you will need to provide updated proof of financial support.
  • PASSPORT – If traveling outside the U.S. your passport must be valid at least 6 months into the future upon your return to the U.S. Passport may be renewed at your country’s embassy in the United States, or in your home country.
  • LETTER FROM YOUR FOREIGN STUDENT ADVISOR – A letter from your international student advisor certifying that you are an international student at your school and are maintaining status.
  • TRANSCRIPT – Bring a copy of your transcript to prove that you have been maintaining your status and making academic progress. Also, bring with you a copy of your current semester schedule, with proof from the your financial office that you have paid your bill.
  • FINANCIAL DOCUMENTATION –Updated documented proof of financial support from the sponsor that appears on your I-20, particularly if the documentation is from more than a year ago.

You should start the visa process as soon as possible upon your arrival back in your home country or the country in which you will apply for the renewal. Keep in mind that the holiday periods (Christmas/New Year) and summer vacation are very busy times at visa issuing posts. In addition, security checks on visa applicants may further delay the issuance of visas.

I hope this helps.

I have a question. I’m in H4 visa status now. Can I work outside USA? May be in London, India or anywhere in the world except USA?

If that’s not the case, can I work for for-profit organization for FREE?

The H-4 visa is issued to accompanying family members (spouse and children under the age of 21) of H-1 and H-3 visa holders. The H4 visa holders may reside in the United States as long as the H visa holders maintain their legal status.  Under the rules of the H-4 visa, you cannot be employed while in the U.S.  You can do volunteer work while in the U.S., provided that it is clearly not an employer-employee relationship and the work is not done in anticipation that you will be hired in the future based upon your current work.  To cover yourself, get a letter from the company or organization confirming your volunteer status.

Under an H-4 visa there are no travel restrictions.  So, if you wanted to travel to London or India you could.  But, since you are a temporary resident of the US, any money that you earned there, even on a very short-term basis, could be considered income for US purposes, thereby violating the restrictions on the H-4 visa.  You could volunteer overseas under the same arrangement that I mentioned earlier–getting a letter confirming your volunteer status.

Does this answer your question?

57 Responses to Frequently Asked Questions

  1. george says:

    i am a spouse of a us citizen and have been to my first interview at the us embassy from which i have been ask to bring along my spouses IRS tax transcript for 2009 and spouse has dependents and i want to no if i can still send the tax transcript to the embassy for my visa to be issued to me.

    • visapetition says:

      I assume that you are in the process of adjusting your status through your spouse. Your spouse must demonstrate that he can support you. One of the requirements is that he must file his last two income tax returns. You want to be sure that his income will support you and his dependents. After calculating the number of dependents, you can go to this table,, to see if he makes enough on his own to support you and his family. I would be happy to discuss this with you in more detail. Please email me or call me at (830) 491-8556,

  2. monica says:

    I am thinking about becoming a U.S. citizen in two years when I become eligible (after the five years of residing here), and this will happen in 2013. My question is that I recently got married and I was wondering if I had to change my maiden name on my green card right now or can I wait until I apply for citizenship to do so?

  3. magshighlander says:

    i am going to change my passport back to my maiden name, i was deported in my married name from usa and i was wondering if the port of entry will recognise this new name and new passport? i am from uk and so badly miss my boyfreind who i love unconditionally and want to be back with, or would it be best for me to fly to canada and get a train from there to usa on this new name or just fly direct to usa. ty for any answer and i enjoy reading ur site, alot of grt question have been answered so i hope you can answer mines, ty have a grt day.

  4. jason says:

    My fiance’s mother has an expired visa, she was married but her exhusband was never legal, she has been in us.for over 20 yrs, she was denied her permanent visa due to her ex husband being arrested an charged with a crime whom she took no part of an was never arrested or been in trouble,she has 3 kids 26,27,16-all who were born in the us, how can she become legal soon so she does not have to leave the us?????

  5. moni says:

    if i am applying for a i130 for my spouse would the fact that i owe the irs cause the uscis to deny my not concerned about the sponsoring aspect

  6. Yadira morales says:

    My aunt just received her visa and we took her to the hospital because of high blood pressure.she has kidney failure and might need dialysis.she is 55. IF I GET HER THE GOLD CARD WILL.THAT AFFECT Her BEING able to renew her visa

  7. huzeay says:

    i was denied asylum status and currently on removal proceeding but already married two months ago, can i still apply for greencard

    • visapetition says:

      If you married an American citizen, you can apply to adjust your status. Be aware, however, that the validity of your marriage will be scrutinized because of your deportation proceeding. I would retain an experienced immigration lawyer to handle it. Where do you live?

  8. Pao says:

    I am going to apply for my US citizenship, but I did not want to change my last name in my first green card, I did the petition in my second green card, but I did not got the last name change. Know, my husband want me to change the last name, but I am not sure what is the process for it. I am going to apply to obtain my citizenship soon, so I am not sure if I must change my last name in this process or I should do this last name change process separately. Also, I am not sure if is better to add my husband last name and keep my Latin last name. I am not sure if having a Latin last name is favorable regardless benefits for being part of minor community. Thanks

    • visapetition says:

      This is a personal decision for you. As part of the naturalization process, you have the opportunity to change your name and have it approved by a judge. You can always change your legal name later but you will have to apply before a judge in your local jurisdiction and pay an additional fee. Regardless of your last name, you determine your ethnic background. It should not affect your eligibility for any benefits.

  9. Alonzo says:

    I married last year and am petitioning my husband for permanent residency. I legally took his name, but I want to use my maiden name back for the sole purpose of keeping my identity. Will this affect the petition?

  10. Susan Wright says:

    Hello,This is an immigration issue; my mother filed for me in 2004 as a single unwed relative (daughter). Subsequently in 2007 I was married, my status was then updated with USCIS. Unfortunately, in Dec. 2012 my husband and I separated.1) Would it be best for me to file for a legal separation and wait for my priority date to come up as a married person?2) Or, should I file for divorce? However, if I file for divorce will USCIS recognize my 2004 priority date or will my paperwork have to be refiled as a single person all over again?
    Thank you,Susan Wright

  11. vanesa says:

    im a citizen of the USA and, my mother was deported because of a federal felony, is there any way i could bring her back to the USA.

  12. amy says:

    Yes I had a question if you can send me email my husband got approved for volenter to go to Mexico how long does he have stay there can he come back faster if I got asmah depression and anxiety 3 kids and no job?

  13. Ghasem says:

    Hi, I have a question regarding asylum seeking individual. I came to US two years ago with F1 visa and I’m graduating with my masters in coming May. I want to apply as an asylum to get a green card/PR and stay in US. So the question is which one is better to do first? Apply for EAD card and then file the application for asylum OR vis a vis? I read somewhere that I would not be able to apply for work authorization once I filed an application for asylum. Is that true? Do you know how long the process will take for my case?

    • visapetition says:

      Your question raises some interesting issues. First, filing an application for asylum should have been done in the firdt year that you were in the US. However, you may qualify for an exception if you show changed circumstances materially affecting your asylum eligibility for asylum or extraordinary circumstances relating to your delay in filing. You must still file your application within a reasonable time under the circumstances to be eligible for an exception.
      Changed circumstances may include but are not limited to:

      — Changes in conditions in your country of nationality or, if you are stateless, your country of last habitual residence
      — Changes in your circumstances that materially affect your eligibility for asylum, including changes in applicable U.S. law and activities you become involved in outside the country of feared persecution that place you at risk

      Extraordinary circumstances may include but are not limited to:·

      Serious illness or mental or physical disability, including any effects of persecution or violent harm suffered in the past, during the 1-year period after your arrival in the U.S.
      Legal disability, such as your status as an unaccompanied minor or you suffered from a mental impairment, during the 1-year period after your arrival in the U.S.

      Do you have the opportunity to do Optional Practical Training (OPT)? OPT is temporary employment directly related to a student’s field of study. During OPT, a student remains in F-1 status. The end result of the OPT request process is an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). If you are eligible, I would do that first.

      Then, if you marry an American citizen or get a job in the US you could apply for a green car through your spouse or American employer.

  14. Andres says:

    I was deported with my family from the US in 2008. Prior to that we lived in the U.S for 7 years. When first arrived in 2002 we applied for assylum, which was denied every year but we kept appealing everytime. On our last attempt it was denied once and for all, we were told to leave the U.S voluntarily. My parents decided to stay and I was a minor, later my dad was arrested at work and a few months later were on out way to Colombia.

    It’s been nearly 6 years since we were deported, and a couple of weeks ago I applied for a B1,B2 visa. It was not issued, and while I spoke with the consulate he said that unlike my parents I was not Ineligible to apply. However, that he couldn’t issue the visa. They visa then because he would have to contact Washington about my case, in order for them to remove that. Also he said I had to wait a 90 days because my application would go under administrative proccesing.

    I’m curios as to what he was seeing on my application, because I was straight up honest and told things as they happened. But I’m starting to think that I was never on “the system” at all and had I not written what I did it could have turned out differently? Because he seemed lost as to what to tell me, he had to get up and speak to other people as of he didn’t know what do to.

    Insight would help a lot

    • visapetition says:

      DHS treats minors who had no say in where the family moved differently. The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program is evidence of this new attitude. Let them go through their internal analysis. Eventually they will make a decision and you can proceed accordingly. There is a waiver that you could file under Section 601 that may be able to help you as well. In sum, I am sure that you are in their system but as a minor you may not be held to the unlawful stay provisions. I hope this helps.

  15. Conchita says:

    My dad filled an i-130 for priority date is June 15,2007…i dont really understand the visa bulletin.i fall under the catagory:unmaried child over 21 of a citizen.i have been waiting for 5-6 years almost.when will my current date come up

  16. Phany Martinez says:

    I have been living in the US for over 15 years and want to apply for my citizenship. The problem is I met and fell in love with an illegal immigrant and we have been married over 9 years now. Will they deny my citizenship because I’m married to an illegal immigrant? Will it also trigger them to deport my husband? I’m so frighten just thinking about it. Please advise. Thanks!
    Sleepless in Milwaukee!

  17. kwadwo wusu says:

    I have gotten my 2 years visa but I want to travel in 7 months there any risk?

  18. Theresa Kamara says:

    My parent an I came to the U.S from Belize with a visa when I was 8 years old. My visa is now expired, I filed for citizenship and today I received a letter from Immigration asking for me to go for an interview back in Belize. Is that normal? Should I be worried that I might not come back to the USA which is now my home? How long will I have to be in Belize? Please help.

  19. caridad says:

    I came to the usa with a waiver program to visit some friends. Is a long and spontaneous story but I got married with a usa citizen couple weeks ago. Im from spain and the waiver last 3 months… I have one week left and im trying to adjust the status so I can live with my husband now, hes been special since I met him. We are in love and we really want this work. Im in a hurry and a lot to do. I would like to know if is necessary send all documentation before my visa expires… I have everything sort out more or less but the civil surgeon… the soonest I could make an appointment its past my expiration date. So I do t know if it will be a problem if I send the medical report later or I should have everything sent before the waiver. Thank u so much, im struggling here.

  20. Sheretta Smith says:

    I’m a U.S. citizen. I have a few questions. My fiancée wants to send me his expired visa. Can I get it renewed. We want to get married so what are my options.

  21. Zoee says:

    I’m a daughter 21 year old and married a U.S citizen. My father lost his case and was deported in 2009 he has a good background no crimes and left on the date that he need to. My question is what are the steps that I have to take to buring him back to the United States and is the process a long one ?

  22. meajgirl says:

    PLZ HELP!!!
    I have an issue I hope is going to be ok! I got married 23 years ago. Was looking at our marriage license and realized that my wife said she was a US citizen. She was legal but not a citizen at the time! Is this ok in validation of out license? Someone had told me it’s fraud….an important form and a lie can affect it!

  23. helen says:

    hi iam a filipina and i have an american citizen child,my visa expires before i gave birth to him..i arrived in the us july29 2009 and my visa expired aug 23 2009 , The immigration gave me 6months stay.. i found out i was pregnant after a month, I had a very senstive pregnancy so i decided to just gave birth to him and go back home because i also hve a daughter left at home (in the phillipines) .I was given a stay till january my due date was March 27,2010 so after i gave birth(csection) i decided to stay for a month because of my major opperation then i mke sure to get my son a passport so we can go home on may. May 29 2010 we arrived in the philippines. He was staying here (philippines ) i renewed his stayed here paid almost 50,000 pesos for his extension fee , the immigration in our country says i have to bring him back to the united states or apply for his recognition, The problem is i have to go back to dc to report his birth so they will issue me ang authnticated visa so i can apply his dual citizenship. My Question is should i will be granted another us visa if i apply to the us embassy? How can i bring him back there? what visa should i apply? Thanks for those who will answer

  24. helen says:

    *authenticated birth certificate rather.

  25. Grace says:


    I have a question, i am a green card holder for almost 8 yrs now, my youngest brother and his mistress are threatening me that they will going to deport me, they lived in the Philippines,does they have a grounds to do that? Do i have a right to report them to the Manila US embassy to denied them from getting a tourist visa?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

  26. anonymous says:

    i recently got my green card but i found out in my card my given name is just MARY R instead of MARY ROSE..but the other docs stated my complete full name, i pressume that what info written in the paper are same as the id.. do i need to send it back to the uscis?? help me please! thank you in advance..

  27. vipul says:

    I came with my wife and with 3 children in us on b1 b2 viz a we came from Eritrea because my wife is pentecoastel and Eritrea is not support any Pentecostal so I want to ask asylum my wife had very bad time over there now I want to apply for asylum but I can’t get 180 days work permit so how I can manage my family please I need a very good advice thanks

  28. Patricia Ruiz says:

    Hi I would like to know can I apply for permanent resident if I been in the u.s for more than 10 years and I have kids and also I apply for the dream act and they approve but can I apply for the permanent resident.

  29. brian says:

    Was married to us citizen for 3yrs never had a status change now divorced have esrd and a felony can i get deported if i lived in the us 17yrs

  30. ruby says:

    I am a American Citizen, and I married an immigrant. I want to know if I can apply for the I130 if be has been here since 1983 and was deported at the age of 17. he has already been deported 3 times.He also had a theft from a person before.

  31. samantha says:

    my father had a massive stroke he wants to go back to his country he does not have a green card or a valid passport could he travel without a valid passport hes not coming back to the u.s

  32. Ana says:

    Hi my boyfriend has been a GREENCARD holder for 30 years now, how does he apply for naturalization? Does he need to hire a lawyer for this? And how long will true process take? Thank you

  33. Kendal says:

    My wife is sponsoring me and we already submitted the PR application and am under a deportation can I stay until cic make a decision on my PR application?

  34. janellgrant says:

    If I have been living in the england for over 7 years do I automatically get my greencard?

  35. Maria says:


    I am a US citizen and would like to petition for my husband to receive a visa. He entered the US in 2003 being only 17 years old and unfortunately was caught by immigration officers while attempting to cross. He attempted then again a few days later and then was successful. He has been present in this country ever since, he has never left the country. Would he be a good candidate to receive a visa? I would like to know before I petition for him.
    Thank you!

  36. Nasir says:

    I want to ask u plz tell me that I am a asylum seeker in malaysia.i regestered as a sylum seeker recently .my sis is in usa .green card holder and her husband is citizen of usa .so can she help me to come to usa.or can she sponser me .

  37. DAVID says:


  38. jose alfredo hernandez rocha says:

    I have been deported 2 times. Since my last deportation I have stayed in mexico for 5 years now. I have 2 children living in the US with their mom. All 3 of them are US citizens, Although I am not married. I have had a criminal record in the USA. So what steps can I take to apply to enter the US legally?

  39. Walid says:

    I’m a USA permanent resident , i have been in the USA 2 years and 9 months, i’m married to USA citizen, we officially entered the USA in September 2011, we didn’t work that year, and for that reason we didn’t file taxes, however we did the next two years, can i apply for my citizenship with two years taxes

  40. chintan says:

    hii i am U.S citizen and my sister is also in usa on f1 visa, can i file petition for her ? how much time will it take for getting P.R for her?
    kindly help

  41. Belinda Baeza says:

    I am a U.S. citizen married as of last year to an illegal we married in Mexico he came in 99 left in 2003 returned following year at that time they took his fingerprints in October 2011 he was deported but before he signed voluntarily to stay in Mexico for 10 yrs because his dad was in hospital we have 2 kids can I still I still petition for him?

  42. Ethel Innis says:

    My son arrived in the United state on Sunday June 15and was not giving his i94how can i get his i94?

  43. Maria says:

    i am the petitioner for my husband his papers were approved and they made it all the way to the Dominican republic we were waiting for the package for the interview but when we called again they told me the papers were not in the Dominican republic anymore what do i do who do i call please help?

  44. Dorothy says:

    My daughter’s 2 yr green card will expire on november 2014. Is it okay not to file a 10 yr green card since I will file my citizenship on January 2015? Is it going to affect her papers if i don’t file her 10yrs?

  45. Kareen wint says:

    Ok. I don’t live in the u.s my family live there and my boyfriend. My family as been trying to get me and my siblings up for a while now, but there was some issue so we didn’t get through but my family is trying again. I’m not sure when the papers will be coming out. So because of that my boyfriend as been asking me to marry him since lately but I have been telling him no, even though I’d love to get married to him. I don’t want because of me the papers that are suppose to be coming don’t are get affected because I decided to get married to him even though he’s a u.s citizen. But what if I do get married to him would it affect my siblings from leaving the country because of me

  46. jack says:

    My wife has been asked to redo finger prints at US Consulate.However, before this, consulate asked her to resubmit medicals to issue visa, but was surprised when she was called again to resubmit finger prints.

  47. RMC says:

    I have a greencard and I’ll be applying for my citizenship this month. I’ll be getting married this coming January, will my application be affected being that I will be taking his last name?

  48. Ann says:

    My friends parents(green card) applied for their son who was unmarried. His priority date has come but he is married. He has applied by telling he is married. The parents are still permanent resident. Immigration has asked for wife’s documents. So can you please tell what does that mean? And how long will it take to complete process?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 28 other followers

%d bloggers like this: